Sunday, October 27, 2013

Blog Post #10

What Can We Learn About Teaching and Learning From Randy Pausch?


Dr. Randy Pausch’s lecture was very inspirational to say the least. He hits on amazing points throughout his lecture about achieving dreams, enabling others to achieve their dreams, and mounds of very useful career advice. Putting these things aside, Randy Pausch knows a lot about teaching and learning and conveys this through witty phrases and personal stories from his own career in the field of education.

What we can learn first from Randy Pausch are some words to live by when encountering rough times while educating.  Dr. Pausch says “when you reach a point where you mess up and nobody is correcting you, that is a very bad place to be.” This is important because as teachers, it is possible to become complacent. Complacent in the sense that we stop trying to learn and grow as educators, and the education field should be stock-full of teachers collaborating and critiquing each other on a professional level. Teaching and learning should be a never-ending cycle.

Information from Dr. Pausch can be very useful to new and soon-to-be educators. One phrase that really stuck out was: “Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.” As a student in the education field, I have illusions of grandeur so to speak. Illusions of my students being engaged, excited, and actually caring about class content and I know I am in for a rude awakening. However, I will know that I got the best experience I could and that I will only learn what I take from that experience and use it to either get me down or make me a better educator year after year.

Dr. Pausch’s beliefs toward education mesh with what EDM310 is all about. These beliefs are derived from years of working with students and are something that any aspiring or present educator will benefit from. When in the classroom, try to implement projects that relate to the real world. A student is more than likely to be more interested in the topic if it relates to him or her or the immediate environment they live in. These projects are also more fun when students work together. Through collaborative assignments students bond, and through this they should produce overall better work. Another thing to remember is to help students have fun while learning something hard. I remember when I was a student that when working on something that did not come easy to me it was no fun at all. If I were able to have fun through a project, I would have learned very hard material without even knowing it. The last thing is to give students a chance to know what it feels like to make other people excited and happy about something. Once students experience this feeling, the possibilities are endless.

Dr. Randy Pausch’s lecture was called Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture, and for a good reason. Doctors had discovered a tumor in his brain that didn’t leave him much more time on this earth. His lecture encouraged people to help others, be loyal, to never give up, to not complain, just work harder, to be a Tigger not an Eeyore, and to never lose the “child-like wonder.” If teachers treat every lecture like it is their last lecture, we will have the best school systems in the world.

Watch Randy Pausch's Last Lecture HERE!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Daniel,
    I really enjoyed your blog post. I loved the lecture that Randy Pausch gave. He covered many things that as future teachers we need to consider. I think you did a great job of summarizing what he had to say. I liked how you used quotes in your blog about what he had stated and elaborated on them.

    ReplyDelete