Saturday, November 23, 2013

Last Comments4Teachers

David Truss
Pair-A-Dimes For Your Thoughts 

Click for access to Pair-A-Dimes

Learning and Failure
Comment #1

In this post, Mr. Truss explains how failure can invite learning. He says that children today are not challenged enough and that failure isn't always a bad thing. When we fail, we learn from our mistakes and thus are able to correct them in order to be better in the future. Through this, students as well as educators get more meaning from a project or lesson and are more likely to remember it in the future and I couldn't agree more. 
"Mr. Truss,

"This is a great post and I could not agree with you more. I am a student in EDM310 at The University of South Alabama and I can honesty tell you that I had not been challenged enough to fail really until I started my college career. From challenge and failure, my learning has been more authentic, deeper, and more meaningful. While reading your post, I could not help but think of Dr. Randy Pausch’s quote that says: 'Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.' Even though we might not achieve something at the level we wanted, we are always growing and learning!"

David Truss is very good at giving replies to the comments he gets and that is amazing! He is the first teacher this course to do so. I could tell that he actually read my comment and gave a genuine, heart-felt response which honestly really inspired me. His reply to my comment went as follows: 

"Great quote Daniel, thanks for sharing!
I recently told a friend of a great lesson my sponsor teacher gave me on a lesson during my teaching practicum. I was absolutely bombing a lesson during which she was observing me and taking notes. I looked at her at one point of the lesson, she looked back at me, showed me the observation paper, then ripped it in half. Then she left the room. I had to recover from a very poor lesson I planned on my own.
That was such a powerful lesson that taught me more than her observation of poor lesson ever could. And her trust in me to leave the room was pretty powerful too. She didn’t need to be there watching me struggle, and I needed to learn how to recover. It was a powerful lesson and made for a great debrief when we next spoke."


Networked Chambers Do Not Echo
Comment #2

David Truss discusses how PLN (personal learning networks), and social media in general do not have an echoing effect but in fact are the complete opposite. Social networks allow educators to generate new ideas, challenge thinking, and get him excited about being an educator. He believes that being a "connected educator" is a great tool. My comment went as follows! 


"Mr. Truss,

"South Alabama EDM310 student here. Great post, and I could not agree more, due to the fact that It took me a while to see all of the many professional benefits to social media. From an education standpoint the possibilities of new ideas, challenged thinking, and motivation to be an educator are endless, and as you said they certainly do not 'echo.' By this we have the privilege to be 'connected educators' with people all over the world at the click of a button! It truly is exciting. Thanks for sharing!"



No comments:

Post a Comment